If you already researched about keto diet, then you must be familiar with the ketogenic diet. It is actually the same as the former, but the difference is that with the ketogenic diet, you are allowed to take in carbohydrates.
But remember this, if you do decide to undergo a ketogenic diet, you must be under ketosis for at least 60 days. Once you are done with ketosis, you can start the ketogenic diet.
Learn more about this type of diet below.
What is the purpose of this diet?
Targeted Ketogenic Diet is done if you are the type of person who prefers exercising regularly. It is best if the kind of exercise you are into require high intensity. But if you like exercises that are low intensity, then the standard ketogenic is the best for you.
A lot of people prefer ketogenic diet is because it allows them to still produce its own muscle to give you energy for your daily needs. If you think that this might stop you from undergoing ketosis, you are wrong. In fact, the ketogenic diet is great for the body as it maintains your body energy during your diet. This can even help you prevent getting keto side effects.
In addition, you must take note of the carbohydrates that you are taking. It does not mean that since you are allowed to eat carbs, then you can eat anything that you wish to. It is still important that you consider the food that you are about to eat. In this case, you can eat sweet potatoes, rice, and fruit.
How to start TKD?
Now that you are fully aware of what is targeted ketonic diet, you must know how to start doing it. Take note, TKD is not a simple type of diet plan that you can do. It is still a must that you do it the right way to get your desired results.
- After ketosis, you must start taking carbohydrates to start TKD. You can do this after your exercise so your body will still lose weight. Also, remember to adjust your fats intake so that you will not add weight. Otherwise, all your efforts will be put to waste.
- Take note that the ideal time for you to eat carbs is 30 to 60 minutes before you exercise. But take note that you must only eat around 25 to 50 grams.
- The food that you should eat is: natural sugar, gummy bears, hard candies, sports drinks, dextrose supplements, and glucose gels.
- You need to avoid most fats as these might interrupt ketosis. These can also slower down your digestion.
- You are required to have 50 grams of fat per day. Then, you must split this in half which means that you take the 25 grams before workout and the other half should be eaten after.
- You can try taking supplements as well. Just be sure that these can blend well with your body.
- In the event that KTD is not working for you, then consider trying the cyclical ketogenic diet.
Three Types of Ketogenic Diet
The ketogenic diet has three types: standard, cyclical, and targeted. Knowing the difference among the three is important for you to know the right approach. Learn more about these below.
1. Standard Ketogenic Diet (SKD)
SKD is the most common type of ketogenic diet as it is usually associated when you say keto diet. In this diet, you are required to eat fewer carbs and high fat. You also need to do some physical activities including yoga, walking, and cycling.
2. Targeted Ketogenic Diet (TKD)
TKD is the type of diet in which you combine eating carbs and exercising. It is best for those who enjoy exercising.
3. Cyclical Ketogenic Diet (CKD)
CKD is where you combine SKD and exercise. The usual people who are in this type of diet are athletes and bodybuilders. The main goal of CKD is to maintain the glycogen and blood sugar in your body.
Considering these, how will you know which is the ideal one?
Of course, you need to get to know more about your body. You need to know if you can handle intense exercises, then you should consider doing TKD and CKD. But if you are not then the best diet for you is SKD.
Another way is through experimentation. You can try SKD for some months, then followed by TKD. If it still does not work, then try CKD. You can also ask the advice of your doctor. He or she is the best person to ask considering that he or she knows your body the best.
Other people even try SKD then slowly adjust their workout program depending on their body type. If you plan to do this, then you can increase the intensity of your exercises as well as your carbohydrates intake.
It is important to note that if you know that you cannot handle exercising, then it is best that you stick with SKD. This will also stop you from eating carbohydrates and sweets.
Among all the types of ketogenic diets mentioned, targeted ketogenic diet is considered the best by those who are into high-intensity exercises. It is the kind of diet in which you can eat sweets and carbs with addition of exercises to still keep your body fit.
The main purpose of this diet is to keep your body from producing the energy. Since ketosis requires you to lessen your food intake, your body might lack nutrients and other minerals. This is also one of the reasons a lot of people prefer this kind of diet. You can still get the energy you need and be thin at the same time!
Just some important notes to remember: Know the right exercises for your body and check whether the carbs you are about to eat are healthy. Make sure as well that you follow the simple rules related to KTD to be able to achieve your goal.