A lot of the medical conditions we as individuals face are caused by either internal factors or external ones. Internal factors include our overall health, diet, and the level of physical activity we try to accomplish daily. Some external factors can come from the environment and other man-made activities which can lead to adverse health effects. One example of the latter is exposed to poison oak and its resulting allergic rash. However, this kind of condition can be difficult to determine at first glance or first look. So in this article, we will look at what Poison oak looks like. Read on to find out more!
Poison Oak: A General Overview
The poison oaks’ leaves and the plant itself, once broken off or damaged will release a type of oil known as urushiol, an oil that is poisonous for humans. This oil can result in the body triggering an allergic response which in turn can lead to the appearance of rashes. In fact roots, stems, or leaves that are already dead still contain urushiol. If the plant or its leaves are burned, the oil can be released into the air and inhaled by people. Sumac and Poison ivy produces the same oil (urushiol) as that of poison oak.
Aside from direct contact, individuals can also be exposed to urushiol via an indirect route such as when the oil gets into the coats of pets or if it gets into the clothes of other individuals. While dogs and cats are unaffected by urushiol, they can be carriers of this highly potent allergen. Not all people, but most, have allergic reactions to urushiol and this is called allergic contact dermatitis and will usually present itself within 12 hours to 72 hours after exposure to the oil of the poison oak.
Individuals who already have allergies to urushiol will not have any allergic reactions until the second exposure or contact with the oil. The body’s immune system will try to fight off the allergy during the first contact as it tries to recognize the allergen but on future contacts, urushiol will react more aggressively.
How Does The Poison Oak Plant Look like?
Poison Oak has leaves that look similar to the leaves of the oak plant and similar to poison ivy, the leaves of the poison oak develop in per cluster in threes (3). However, poison oak leaves can have more leaves per cluster, such as five (5), seven (7), or even nine (9). Poison oak also has berries in its clusters that either white or greenish-yellow.
How Do Rashes From The Poison Oak Plant Look?
Ther rash of the poison oak plant will commonly appear on the surface of the skin that has been exposed, or that has been in contact with urushiol. It will start as being itchy accompanied by mild irritation, which will eventually become worse before developing into a full-blown rash that is red and itchier. The formation of bumps will be observed and eventually, be transformed into blisters. These rashes will usually resolve themselves within 3 weeks to a month.
Irritation caused by poison oak can vary depending on which part of the body or the skin is affected. Some of the common characteristics or properties of this itching include:
- Skin that is red and itchy
- The area brushed with the oil of the poison oak plant will have multiple streaks.
- The appearance of hives can be observed as well as the affected portion being swollen.
If the portion of the skin that is affected is significantly large, then it can make mobility and movement much more difficult. This may mean that the problem or condition is serious, and will commonly be experienced by people who are constantly exposed to such foliage, such as those workers working in fields where there are poison oak plants. The rashes caused by poison oak will usually resolve on their own after a few days, but to fully recover or heal, the rashes will need several weeks.
The rashes are not shared with other individuals, but those who are regularly exposed to urushiol should be wary not to spread the said oil to other people leading to allergic reactions for other individuals. This can most possibly happen when tools, clothes, or gear exposed to urushiol are shared between colleagues and friends. If swelling occurs aside from the presence of hives, then medical treatment may be necessary. For rashes affecting large portions of the skin and body, it is best to seek immediate emergency assistance.
One can tell if the allergies are already severe and if they already need to go to a medical emergency facility if several signs and symptoms are observed. These include lymph nodes that are swollen, headaches, pain, pus, redness that is spreading and other signs of infection, a feeling of unwell, breathing or swallowing issues or concerns, and extreme swelling in and around the area of the tongue, lips, face, and eyes.
Treatment Options For Poison Oak?
For those who believe that they have been exposed to poison oak, washing the skin and their garments in warm water and soap should be done as soon as possible.
Most rashes caused by poison oak will settle down on their own without any intervention. Some of these possible home treatments include:
- Utilizing an emollient cream that can help in protecting the skin from moisture loss and in ensuring that the barrier of the skin does not lose its functions.
- Natural drying, gentle patting, and warm bathing can also help the skin fight off the effects of poison oak
- Avoid scratching the skin to prevent any further infection, pain, itchiness, and damage
- Steering clear from any poison oak plants to avoid having the urushiol re-introduced into the system.
Those who wish to use some form medication to address this skin condition may do so by using antihistamines to help ease the rashes’ itch. A wide variety of antihistamines are available online or over the counter (OTC). Antihistamines, though, can lead to drowsiness, and people should avoid this form of medication if they will be driving or operating heavy machinery. It is also recommended that people seek medical attention if the rashes don’t go away after a month or if symptoms worsen.