The ketogenic diet has become really popular. This comes as no surprise. Given its awesome health benefits and its weight loss prowess, going keto is definitely an excellent decision. However, there are times when people do not lose weight as fast as they want to even when they are already on a strict keto plan. A keto diet plateau is very real and many buckle to the pressure and give up. Here are things that you can do in case you get stuck in keto purgatory.
What a keto diet is
Before delving into how to overcome your keto diet plateau, it would be good to talk about what a keto diet is all about. This is essentially a high fat, low carb diet. When you follow a keto plan consistently, your body goes into ketosis. Since there is an insufficient amount of carbohydrates in the body, it burns through the glucose and uses fat as an alternate source of energy. Ketones are the by-product of this process and these offer numerous health benefits to the human body.
Different Ways to Go Keto
There is no one way to go about a keto lifestyle. This is the reason why you should not fret or lose hope when you face a keto diet plateau. You can surely bounce back by trying out a different tactic in achieving ketosis. Here are some ways that you can try:
- Regular. This is the standard way to do keto diet. You will have to follow this ratio: 75% fat, 20% protein, and 5% carbohydrates. You will have to observe this ratio in all your meals.
- High Pro. As the name suggests, there is more protein intake in this type of keto diet. The ratio for a High Pro variation of a ketogenic diet is: 60% fat, 35% protein, and 5% carbohydrates. Again, observe this ration in all your meals.
- Cyclical. This is more advanced since you really need to keep track of what you are eating. Here, you follow either the regular or high pro ratio for five consecutive days. On the two remaining days, you will have to load up on carbohydrates. These two days are usually scheduled for strenuous training. Most athletes who do keto diet follow this type.
- As needed. This is also an advanced form of keto diet since you do not follow a particular ratio all the time so you must adept with counting calories and other vitamins and minerals that you ingest. Here, you load up on carbohydrates on days that you have to train. This is essential for you to complete your reps since each rep will deplete your energy. If you are in the midst of a dieting the keto way, the energy from fat and protein may not be enough to supply the body for a strenuous workout. Loading up with carbs can truly help but you have to keep track of what you are taking for this to be effective.
Benefits of a Keto Diet
One more point before proceeding to some ways to overcome a keto diet plateau. As mentioned earlier, it does not come as a surprise that more and more people are switching to a keto lifestyle. It provides so many benefits to the human body. Here are just some of them:
- Very effective at weight loss
- Lowers cholesterol so in turn, it lowers the risk of cardiovascular diseases
- Enhances insulin sensitivity
- Regulates blood sugar
- Used to treat symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease
- Promotes faster healing from brain injury
With several potential benefits of a keto diet, it goes without saying that switching to a keto lifestyle will truly be advantageous to you.
Overcoming Keto Diet Plateau
There are times when people living according to keto standards do not lose weight as fast as they would like. When a keto diet plateau happens, it can get really frustrating. Many get discouraged and return to their old ways. Here are some practical things to do when you face such a situation:
- Do keto in conjunction with physical activity. The reason why most people face a keto diet plateau is because they expect results without really putting in the effort. A keto diet is not just about food. It is an entire lifestyle. You cannot lose weight according to the pace that is ideal to you if you are living a sedentary lifestyle. This is why you should mix keto diet and physical activity. Yoga, for example, is a great fit for a keto lifestyle. It is not strenuous in nature so you do not need added carbohydrates to finish an entire session. Plus, it does wonders for your mental health so keto with yoga is a great way to go.
- Skip carbohydrates. Be careful with what you are eating. Carbohydrates must be taken very minimally. This means a drastic reduction of rice, bread, potatoes, and other starchy food from your diet. There are also fruits and vegetables that are huge in calorie count. Steer clear from them as well.
- Do keto in conjunction with Intermittent Fasting (IF). IF does not look at what you eat but when you eat. When you do IF, you have an eight hour window when you can eat regularly. You will then fast for the next 16 hours. Research shows that combining IF with keto produces excellent results so you might want try and do these two simultaneously.
- Consult a keto expert. A keto diet plateau may also be caused by taking in food that unknowingly is loaded with many calories. To have the perfect plan to fit you and your health and dietary needs, consulting a keto expert will definitely come in handy. This way you would know that you are not only eating right but also eating the right food.
- Be patient. A much-quoted adage says, “Rome was not built in a day.” Do not be too hard on yourself. Stay the course. Persevere. If you are patient and you follow keto standards in conjunction with IF and physical activity, you can be assured that you will get to witness results in due time.
A keto diet plateau can discourage even the most experienced keto practitioner. The only difference is one’s attitude and willingness to put in the effort to overcome it. With these suggested ways, it is only a matter of time until you get on track ketogenically. Be patient and do what is needed. Positive results are well on their way.