The ketogenic diet has amassed many followers and it does not show any sign of relenting. It comes as no surprise. With all its health benefits and its being effective at weight loss, more and more people are giving it a try. The challenge, really, is maintaining it. Here are five keto lunch ideas that will definitely help you to do just that.
The Keto Diet
Before talking about awesome keto lunch ideas, it would be best to understand what it is first. A keto diet is primarily a low carb, high-fat diet. If you do this consistently, your body enters a state of ketosis. Since there is not enough carb intake, the body, in a ketogenic state, burns through the glucose and uses fat as an alternative source of energy. Ketones are the by-products of this process. These molecules do a lot of good for the human body for as long as they are well within optimum ketone level for weight loss which is 1.5 to 3 mmol/L. You can test for your ketone level at the comfort of your own home so keeping track will not be a problem.
How to Do the Keto Diet
There are different ways for the body to enter a ketogenic state. This is very important to note as we are about to discuss five keto lunch ideas.
- Regular. This is a standard way of doing keto. You follow the ratio of 75% fat, 20% protein, and 5% carbohydrates in all your meals throughout the week.
- High Pro. As the name suggests, there should be a clear uptick of protein intake in this type. The ratio then becomes 60% fat, 35% protein, and 5% carbohydrates.
- Cyclical. This is far more advanced since you really have to keep track of what you are eating. Here, you do five consecutive days of either regular or high pro keto. On the two remaining days, you increase carb intake. It is on these two days that you will have strenuous activities or training. Most athletes do this type of keto.
- As needed. Again, this is advanced because there is no formula to follow. Here, you can stick with either of the first two keto types mentioned. You can then load up on carbs when needed. You have to keep track of what you are eating to be successful in this type of keto.
Benefits of Keto
A ketogenic diet offers myriad benefits. Among them are the following:
- Effective at weight loss
- Lowers body cholesterol
- Lowers risk of cardiovascular diseases
- Regulates glucose level
- Enhances insulin sensitivity
- Helps treat symptoms of brain injuries, Parkinson’s disease, and Alzheimer’s disease
Given these many benefits, you are truly at an advantage if you decide to switch to a keto lifestyle.
Keto Lunch Ideas
Here are five keto lunch ideas that will help you maintain a keto lifestyle. These five are very ketogenic and offers satiation all the same time.
- Chicken salad. You can never go wrong with an excellent chicken salad. Ingredients you can include are asparagus, avocado chunks, lots of greens and tomatoes, mozzarella cheese and of course, golden brown chicken slices cooked to perfection. Use olive oil as salad dressing and you are good to go. This is definitely one of those keto lunch ideas where you do not have to restrict on taste just because you are trying to stick to this type of diet.
- Grilled cheese sandwich. Yes, you read this one right. You can still enjoy, on occasion, a loaded cheese sandwich. What you have to look at is the bread you are using. Make sure it is the low carb type. Add the cheeses: mozzarella, parmesan, cheddar, even bleu cheese. You can also add tomatoes and zucchini in there.
- Chicken enchilada. Who says you cannot enjoy a whole bowl of enchilada when you are in keto? One of the best keto lunch ideas is this one. Use chicken, cheese, and avocado for the main ingredients. You can add a couple of ingredients here and there just make sure they are low in carb. As a rice substitute for this bowl, use cauliflower or broccoli.
- Sushi. You can still enjoy sushi even when you are on a keto diet. Just remove the rice and keep everything else. Now you can enjoy your so-called keto-adjusted sushi. Again, be careful with the condiments you are using. Make sure they are low in carbs and calories.
- Keto Cheeseburger. You can definitely enjoy a cheeseburger even when you are on a keto diet. You can make your own patty mixed with cheese, tomatoes, and greens. Use low-carb bread for this one. Now, you can have a great-tasting cheeseburger without sacrificing your keto choice.
It is important to note that you have to keep track of your ketone level. Going overboard with ketones can cause life-threatening conditions. Consult your doctor if you are pregnant, lactating, maintaining any form of medication, or have a history with eating disorders.
Going keto is a great decision if you think about it. While you have to restrict on the intake of a certain food, it does not mean you cannot enjoy a whole range of delectable cuisine. With these keto lunch ideas, maintaining a keto lifestyle has never been this satisfying.