So there are so many low-carb diets out there now. And many people seem to have drifted towards low-carb diets. Well, that’s not a surprise as these diets have proven time and time again that they are effective. One of the most popular low-carb diets that people opt for is the keto diet. Now many people have heard about this diet but have no idea what it’s about. That’s why you would hear people ask how to start a keto diet. Well, we’re here to help you out. We’ve come up with some tips for keto beginners that can help you on this keto journey.
The keto diet is one of the diets that so much research has been carried out on. Due to the attention people have given to this diet, it has also gained the attention of many researchers. That’s why there have been studies and research as to the effectivity of this diet. Even up till now, there are studies and research still going on. And with all these, they have come to find out amazing benefits that come with following this diet. And many of these benefits can be backed up scientifically. Well, we’ll be taking a look at a few as we go on. So keep reading.
What is the Ketogenic Diet?
As mentioned before, this is one of the low-carb diets in town. This diet allows you to eat foods low in carbs and foods high in healthy fat. Also, a moderate amount of high-quality protein is allowed. In a keto diet, the ratio of fat to protein to carbs is 70-80: 20-25: 5-10. That automatically implies that 70-80% of your total calorie consumption for the day can come from fats. 20-25% can come from protein and 5-10% can come from carbs.
But then again, you must bear in mind that your calorie intake would be dependent on a few factors. Such as your goal, health history, and also activity level. These are very important in helping you determine what your daily calorie intake would be.
The main goal of this diet is to put your body in a state of ketosis. Ketosis is a metabolic state that helps your body to consume fat instead of consuming carbs. You most likely already know that the main source of energy in the body is carbs. But when your body switches to burning fat there’s a switch in the body. And ketones are produced in this process.
So when your body is set in a state of ketosis, the source of energy now becomes ketones. It does not happen in the twinkle of an eye. Usually, it starts with you, restricting the number of carbs you consume. When this happens, the body starts to make use of the glycogen store in the body. Glycogen is the stored form of glucose in the body.
Once the body depletes your glycogen store it starts to look for other sources of energy. And that’s when the body would result in breaking down of fat and producing ketones that would be used as a source of energy.
The good thing is that ketone is an efficient source of fuel. It provides your body with the needed energy, and ketone is a great source of energy for the brain. Thus, increasing your mental stability and alertness.
How to Start Keto Diet
The big question now is how to start a keto diet. Well, we have 5 steps here that can help you start your keto diet easily.
- Know the foods you are allowed to eat: When you’re on a keto diet, the important thing is opting for whole foods. Make sure you opt for foods that are low in carbs. Opting for low-carb veggies would be a great idea. Also, opt for high-quality proteins and high-quality fats. Opting for fruits is also a good idea but make sure that they are low in carbs. Also, try as much as you can to stay away from foods that can kick you out of ketosis. Such as grains, processed foods, and starchy veggies.
- Try to figure out your macros: The next step is to try to figure out your macros. Different people have different goals and body types. And because of this, our macros would differ. Also, your activity level has a role to play when it comes to determining your macros. For some 20g of carbs, a day would do. While for some they would have to eat a bit more but of course not too much.
- Get into ketosis as soon as possible: Before a person can start to experience the benefits that come with keto diet your body must be in a state of ketosis. Apart from reducing the number of carbs, you consume there are some other things you would have to do. They include exercise, fasting and also taking exogenous ketones. All these would go a long way in getting your body into ketosis faster.
- Check your ketone level and make necessary adjustments: You can measure the number of ketones in the body. By checking for the number of ketones in the body you can know whether you’re in ketosis or not. You can opt for blood meter or test strips. But the blood meter is a lot more accurate. If your ketones are still low, then you might want to have a look at the foods you’re eating. Also, take a look at the steps you’re following in the diet. Then make the necessary adjustments.
- Maintain ketosis: You would know when you’re in ketosis. The signs and symptoms will indicate if you’re in ketosis. That, of course, is when you would enjoy the benefits that come with doing the keto diet. Make sure you maintain this. Keep following the steps and eating the right foods to maintain your weight for instance.
Benefits of Keto Diet
This diet is known to have some amazing benefits. Some of which are:
- Weight loss
- Hormone regulation
- Increased fat oxidation
- Appetite regulation
- Reduced brain fog
- Protection against some health conditions
- Reduces blood glucose level
So as a keto beginner if you want to enjoy these benefits all you have to do is follow the tips on how to start a keto diet.