Do you know how to get rid of a sore throat fast? Fun Fact: UYS Adults experience an average of two sore throats per year. This is a common health condition that can be tough to deal with whether it’s from strep throat or dry air. It can sometimes just be a sore throat and other times include other symptoms. It’s important to know the root cause of the health condition. This can make it easier to deal with it. In some cases like a cold/flu, we know exactly what’s causing the sore throat. In other situations like dry air, it might not be totally clear until we get a checkup and tests run.
There are many options if you want to use a home remedy for treating sore/scratchy throat. Everyone seems to have their go-to DIY treatments. The most interesting cold remedies include “gogo mogul” in Russia, which includes a mixture and egg yolk, and sugar/honey. However, there are some more well-known options like apple cider vinegar, herbal tea, and saltwater gargle. The thing is it doesn’t Everytomatter how crazy a traditional/folk remedy sounds. When you’re dealing with a red/irritated throat any remedy that works gets a thumbs up.
What Exactly Is a Sore Throat?
OK, it’s fair to say that anyone who’s had a bad cold or flu knows what a sore throat feels like. However, what is it medically? The basic definition is a sore throat is when it gets dry, scratchy, or painful. There are many causes. They include smoking, dry air, viruses, and others.
Pain is one of the most common types of symptoms related to sore throats. In fact, every year people rack up over 13 million visits to their doctor’s office because of the condition.
Infections are caused by infections or outside environmental factors including dry air. They can be really tough to deal with but the good news is they often only last a short time and might not even require any treatments/medicines.
There are two main kinds of sore throats based on where they happen in the throat. One kind occurs a little behind the patient’s mouth. The other one involves red/swollen tonsils. This is more serious and sometimes the condition keeps coming back until the tonsils are removed.
Another possible type of sore throat is caused by the voice box becoming red/swollen. The fancy term for the voice box is the “larynx” if you ever see it as a Jeopardy question.
There are various kinds of symptoms you can experience with a sore throat. They can vary greatly and are based on whatever caused it. Some of the feelings you might experience include:
The pain might increase whenever you talk or swallow. Another possible symptom is the throat/tonsils could also appear red.
You also might see small regions of pus on your tonsils. These areas tend to show up with strep throat, which is more serious than a regular sore throat.
It’s also possible to have other symptoms with the condition. They include coughing, sneezing, runny nose, stuffy nose, headache, and fever.
How to Get Rid of a Sore Throat Fast
This is probably a surprising one since it doesn’t involve cooking with the super-herb. There’s something in the cloves that works as a painkiller. You just have to chew on a piece of clove in order to release the “eugenol.” After the herb gets soft you can even chew it like gum.
This is about as basic as it gets since it’s water that’s changed into a gas form. You’ll just have to add boiling water into a big bowl. Then cover your head with a towel and lean over the big bowl. Breathe in the steam to help relieve your symptoms.
You can also add some essential oil like Eucalyptus oil to the water. This will provide extra benefits when you use this steam treatment.
This is a good excuse for drinking a little alcohol. A shot of warm “toddy” can help to treat the painful tissue. It includes some whiskey, honey, and lemon juice. This can provide several benefits by warming up the chest region and even helping you to get some sleep. Make sure to only use this as an adult remedy.
Apple cider vinegar
ACV has been around for several decades but it’s made a comeback in recent years as a home remedy for many kinds of health conditions. That includes sore throat. If you want to get the best results to mix the ACV with honey to boost the distilled apple juice’s effectiveness.
Sage and chamomile tea are some of the best options. You can either drink tea or gargle with it. This can help in various ways like reducing swelling. This helps to explain why it can help to relieve sore throats.
You can also gargle with the tea. Make sure to steep it first in hot water to release the nutrients like antioxidants. Then gargle after the tea has cooled down.
More Remedies for Sore Throats
- Marshmallow root: Make sure you’re going with lozenges with marshmallow root. Studies show that this is a safe and effective way to deal with sore throats. Another option is a cold marshmallow root drink to treat painful throats.
- Garlic: You’ve probably heard of people who eat some raw garlic every day. Another option is to suck on a piece of garlic to fight bacteria. All you have to do is put a piece of garlic in each cheek then suck on it like a store-bought cough drop.
- Baking soda tea: This one sounds kind of weird but it works. That’s because the baking soda causes it to be more alkaline and less acidic. That makes it tougher for bacteria to live there.
- Coconut oil: This is a good option because it can help to loosen up the throat’s mucous membranes. You have several options. You can add a spoonful to hot cocoa, tea, or soap. Another option is to let 1 spoonful melt in the throat.
- Ginger/Lemon/Honey: This sounds healthy but does it work? This is an old-school remedy that’s backed by modern science. Here’s why. The ginger can help to loosen up thick mucus. Meanwhile, lemon juice and honey can help soothe the throat. Both of these ingredients are high in antioxidants.
- Saltwater gargle: This remedy is as old as the hills but it works. Simply combine salt (1/2 teaspoon) with warm water (1 cup). This one works because salt removes moisture from the throat’s inflamed tissues. This helps to make it more anti-bacterial. Make sure to use this remedy multiple times during the day for how to get rid of a sore throat fast.